Trail Runner Nation’s Southern California corespondent, Jimmy Dean Freeman, joins the Nation to discuss new year’s resolutions and goal setting.
Stuff we referenced:
- Vanessa Rodriguez wrote for Active.com, “7 Ultrarunning Myths That Hold you Back“.
- “Mind the Gap” from Jimmy’s blog.
- Ted Video: Derek Sivers: “Keep your goals to yourself“
- Never too old to start: Fauja Singh, the guy who ran his first marathon at age 89!
- Helen Klein, now 91, started running at age 55. She is the oldest woman to run a sub 24-hour 100-mile race. She finished the Grand Slam at age 66.
Here are SOME steps we came up with to achieving your running goals:
- Set the goal – don’t worry about the myths that hold you back or what other people say
- Identify the obstacles that might get in your way – plan how you will overcome them
- Break the goal into smaller, more realistic goals
- Do something everyday that get you closer to that goal
- Adapt the plan as necessary
- Celebrate along the way
Check out our new sponsor’s, “Race Course in Review” by Vasque Running Shoes