Eat to Win with Dr. Phil Maffetone

phil maffetone May 30, 2013

To reach your athletic potential, Dr. Phil Maffetone shares the secret ingredient is in the kitchen.  Nutrition is the foundation for performance and recovery.   We open his Big Red Book and ask the author to connect his content to the trail.  We discuss protein, fats and carbohydrates as we literally sit at the kitchen table with Dr. Maffetone.

Closing Song by Dr. Phil Maffetone  and is titled Rosemary.

You can listen to us on iTunes, or by using the player below.

18 Responses

1. Rebecca says:

This podcast had me furrowing my brow during my run. I kept hearing “So what should we eat,” and then after twenty anecdotes all I gathered was stay away from refined carbs…

I appreciate the nutrition segments, but lately I’m ready to quit it all… Drink more water… we drink too much water. Eat GU’s, GU’s are bad for your running race. Vegan is the way to go for health, vegan is just another fad… Paleo blah blah blah….

I’ve just finished a nice long run. Beer anyone? Is THAT ok? 😉

• Rebecca says:

Oh and that unfit runner “Ryan Hall” that died was not an impressive example for the good doctors theories…I think you should’ve edited that out. I had a hard time with credibility after that mistake.

• marc says:

He obviously meant Ryan Shay – a close friend of Ryan Hall – Hall got a lot of press at the time of Shays death.

But with Ryan “DNF” Hall’s great performance over the last few years I think its easy enough to understand why someone would think he was dead.

• Find what works for you, honestly, the Ryan Hall thing was a bit odd, like ‘where have you been forever’. If you put Michael Arnstein on he would say eat 80-10-10, fruititarian and he does great with that, then others say eat fat and burn fat, do what works for you. Its that easy.

2. Michael Smith says:

Interesting podcast. Like Rebecca, I found the Ryan Hall thing distracting. I listened while out on my long run and was confused by the end. So, when I got home, I sat down to a nice plate of whole wheat peanut butter/chocolate chip pancakes 🙂 It didn’t clear anything up, but it sure tasted good.

Rebecca – If beer is wrong, I don’t want to be right 😉

3. warren_piece says:

would really appreciate a panel discussion setup on nutrition with a few people. maybe scott jurek, sunny blende, dr. maffetone, dr. noakes – or some similar combination.

4. Adelaida says:

Right here iis the perfect site for anybody who really wants to uunderstand this topic.
    You realize so much its almost tough to argue with you
    (not that I personally will need to…HaHa). You defionitely put a brand new spin on a subject
    that’s been written about for a long time. Great stuff, just excellent!

5. […] was someone to listen to – so bought his book on the subject for the finer details. This Trail Runner Nation Podcast is also well worth a […]

6. Emma says:

What about cheat days? I feel like setting ultimatiums is setting up for a binge

7. Like!! I blog quite often and I genuinely thank you for your information. The article has truly peaked my interest.

8. http://pinarchitect.com/4487-2 looking for mature women in vancouver http://vanchuyenducviet.de/2020/01/02/34808/ dating sites for senior citizens

9. https://ethosgo.com.br/2019/12/26/14343/ senior online dating site in philippines http://sercislat.es/2020/05/03/14658/ where to meet european singles in america free

10. Google says:

Usually posts some very exciting stuff like this. If you are new to this site.