This episode focuses on the intersection of coaching, athlete training, and the utilization of cutting-edge technology to enhance performance. What is the role of the plethora of tech devices and data analytics we now have? We are joined by two luminaries in the field, Joe Friel and Dirk Friel. Joe is a lifelong athlete with a masters degree in exercise science and has written the Training Bible books for road cyclists, mountain bikers, and triathletes. Dirk is a former pro cyclist and coach. Together with Gear Fisher, they created TrainingPeaks, the world’s first online training log that has evolved into a training solution for athletes and coaches.
The guests share their expertise on how data analytics, wearable tech, and other innovations have transformed the way athletes train and coaches plan. They discuss the balance between traditional training methods and technological advancements, providing a holistic view of what it takes to reach peak performance.
Links of note:
– Our episode with Joe over 8 years ago about his book, “Faster After 50, How to Race Strong For the Rest of Your Life”
– “CoachCast” podcast with Dirk Friel
– TrainingPeaks. The training platform that Joe and Dirk co-created
– The Triathlete’s Training Bible: The World’s Most Comprehensive Training Guide, 4th Ed.
– Faster After 50: How to Race Strong for the Rest of Your Life
– Joe’s web site
– Dirk’s email