Your watch timer goes off. It is time for another Salt Cap. You come into an aid station and you are covered with a salty brine on your forehead. It’s time for some potatoes and salt. How important is that salt in your training and racing?
Andy DuBois, one of Australia’s top endurance coaches, joins The Nation to discuss Salt. Andy is an accomplished elite endurance athlete including a top finish at UTMB and other wins. He has a pedigree of certifications and is always on the cutting edge of research and coaching.
We talk about
- Is there a correlation between cramping and low salt consumption?
- What is important in monitoring salt levels?
- What to worry about if we consume too much salt?
- The placebo affect?
- Will rinsing your mouth with a brine solution do anything?
- What can we do to avoid cramping?
- How to cool your body
- How important is plyometrics in training?
Here is a link to our interview with Tim Noakes on his new book Waterlogged