Grit: That Space Between Giving Up and Going All In
Why do we put so much emphasis on talent rather than our effort? In the book Grit:The Power of Passion and Perseverance author, Angela Duckworth helps us understand that EFFORT counts twice as much as talent when trying to achieveing a goal.
Talent X Effort = Skill
Skill X Effort = Achievement
Gu Energy Labs’ VP of innovation and R&D, Magda Boulet
and East Coast Executive Producer, Andy Jones-Wilkins
join The Nation to discuss Grit.
- What is Grit
- Where do we get it?
- Can it be learned?
- Can we increase our grittiness?
- Is Talent or Effort more important
- Four elements of GRIT
- Interest or passion – we must enjoy what we are doing we must find ways to reignite that passion. We must be patient to develop the interest.
- The capacity to practice – daily discipline of trying to do things better than the day before
- Purpose – What ripens passion is the conviction that your work matters. (See WHY podcast)
- Hope – rising to the occasion. Focusing on things that you can control when things are going wrong
Take the Grit Test to see where you are on the grit scale
Visit Angela Duckworth’s web site on Grit
Check out Don’t Dilemma at mile 144 of the Moab 240-mile race: VIDEO